vendredi 9 octobre 2020

Medion E15302, my new laptop

Yes I have this Dell E6220 still working fine.  However due to the recent promotion at ALDI I am now also the owner of this Medion laptop for 599€.  AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, Full HD IPS 15.6" screen, SSD (512 GB), 16 GB, aluminium top plate.

Some serious drawbacks though:

  • Only 1 USB-C and 1 USB2 ports
  • No Ethernet port (Wifi only for the networking interface)
  • HDMI output (yes) but none other (VGA, DisplayPort, ...)
  • Hangs during Ubuntu install - so far - maybe due to the proprietary GPU.

For the ports issue I bought a combo USB3 x 3 ports + Gigabit Ethernet x 1 port, connected to the USB-C port.  So far so good.  I also ordered a USB3 external HDD (Seagate Backup Plus 4TB) including a small USB hub x 2 ports.  I might want to migrate to Bluetooth mice and keyboard in the future.  The main issue is still the Linux install.  Maybe I will try some other distro (Manjaro, Mint, Arch, ...)

Booting into UEFI works with holding F2 during power-on.


Aucun commentaire: