mardi 12 décembre 2017

Puppylinux on the Hercules EC-800-H20G/S

Rebooted this old little fellow. The crunchbang linux was still happily running. No real update path I guess (crunchbang distribution has been replaced by something else apparently) so why not trying puppylinux on it. First attempt failed (I had used the same SD card as for kid2... except that the eCafé has a 32bit processor apparently not a 64bit one). Second attempt, after downloading rufus (to create the bootable SD partition) and a proper 32bit Puppylinux image, was OK. I did a full install, but got stuck in the wifi activation. Even after remembering to use Ctrl+F1 to activate the wifi interface, I couldn't connect on my WPS access point. Will have to try harder, maybe on another AP, somewhat later. In the meantime puppylinux seems happy on this old hardware. I'll have to check how to reduce the X resolution to match the hardware panel which is rather limited on this eCafé. And/Or hook it up to an external monitor and hoping to get a little bit more pixels that way.

1 commentaire:

LucM a dit…

OK both issues solved. 800x480 (the native panel resolution) has to be specified twice in xorg.conf (in the Monitor and in the Screen sections).
For the Wifi I had to use the most advanced network tool and proceed with care. Finally it worked.