lundi 27 novembre 2017

Ubuntu 17.10

Last month I upgraded kid3 & run12l.  No issue, even got the latest Darktable etc so I didn't need to add any ppa so far.  Yesterday I also upgraded base so all OK for now.  I took a look inside (this is a Packard Bell B2501 BE).  Still spare room for disks (both SATA-several connectors free and one free IDE connector) and cards (no extension cards on the motherboard, using the on-board audio and video circuits).  There are 2 PCI slots and at least two PCIe slots (1x and longer).  There's also only 1 DIMM slot used and thus the second one is free.  Looks like this required DIMM DDR2 800.  Iirc the CPU is an E2200.  There's an unused HDD in that box, with only Linux partitions (/ swap /home probably) and it's about 200GB.  It still works (I connected it temporarily for testing) and seems to have data from 2014.  I think /home is empty though so nothing to save from there.  Could probably be used as recovery boot in case of failure of the main SATA HDD.

I ordered a PCIe 4-port USB3 card to install in this box in order to speed up the archives so I can start rolling out with my off-site backups.  I also bought a Maxtor M3 2Tb USB3 external hard disk (at Black Friday prices, 63€) but I still have to pick that up.

I might buy a used monitor screen to replace the one used by kid3 so I can move that one to base in order to troubleshoot a boot failure that I had when the IDE drive was connected (seen as /dev/sda).

Aucun commentaire: