mardi 28 novembre 2017

kid2 status

I didn't try booting but I opened the (unbranded) tower to check the motherboard model (GA-945PL-DS3) and installed memory (1Gb+1Gb+512Mb of DDR2 PC2-6400). According to the Gigabyte site, this board only supports a maximum of 2GB anyway, so I removed the 512MB DIMM.  I'll need to get a power cable and hook up a screen, power cord and mouse to try and reboot it.  I'll probably need to reset my overclocking attempts in the BIOS too.  On the other hand, I now have switches and Cat5 cables around so I will not need to play with the cheap Wifi dongle that I found back in one of the USB ports.  I didn't bother to check wich hard drives are installed (2xSATA drives are connected).  As there is an IDE interface too, I could also install some more disks in there if needed (doubtful).
I really should try and find a SBC capable of replacing base with a much smaller environmental footprint... but then I'd still need power adapters to feed the drives that I need.  So probably a dead end route.  I could also re-test the power management (powering off via cron when not in use and waking up hourly).  That was kind of fun, but unfortunately it sometimes froze and I didn't troubleshoot that to see if I could easily fix it or not.

Aucun commentaire: