lundi 11 janvier 2016

Hardware Refresh

Bought a new hardware as I was more and more pissed off by the slow kid2 when doing photo editing/retouching and stuff.  Too little RAM is my diagnostic, the processor doesn't seem to be the cause (except when heavy stuff is going on like exporting from Darktable).
So I bought a very cheap tower ready to go: ACER Aspire 3641-500Mb HDD-4Gb RAM-5.1 Soundcard-Graphics with Digital and Analog outputs-some room for growth (not RAM unfortunately, 4Gb seems to be the max).

Installed Lubuntu 15.10 yesterday.  Notes to self:
  • use makeusb not usb-creator to create the boot SD (at least with 15.10).  Others are buggy and won't boot
  • don't think you'll need the 32bit image when your CPU is Intel.  You still want the AMD64 architecture unless the PC is really old and has less than 2Gb RAM.
  • don't use the "reinstall" menu in the lubuntu installer.  It just doesn't work and fails silently, then requests you to reboot on an incompletely installed OS
  • buy a Wifi dongle if you don't have a cat5 cable available at some convenient place (I did the install/upgrade with the tower on the floor and the monitor and keyboad on a chair).  Action point taken, I ordered a cheap one from China today.
  • the PC came with a working Vista partition (+ recovery partition I think) + a "VIDEOS" empty NTFS partition.  I left the Vista Home Edition Premium on the HDD and another NTFS partition for data.  I then created a Logical partition and added the Linux Root and Swap inside that.  This is a 500Gb disk partitioned approximatively like this (from memory, probably incomplete as the total is not right).
    • ? Windows Recovery/Reset partition
    • 213 NTFS Windows Vista boot
    • 108 NTFS Data
    • 108 Linux root
    • 4 Linux Swap
  • Installed Darktable directly from the ppa in order to get 2.0 not the 1.6 from the distro
  • Added the new host (kid3) to backuppc host list -- will need to tweak that configuration to make it work too.  And add some ssh configuration too I guess.
My plan is to vgexport/vgimport the large SATA disk from kid2 (and come  back to a smaller /home disk on kid2).  Once working fine on kid3 I'll see if I can restore the Windows stuff on kid2 to make it a backup/alternate office PC maybe.

Aucun commentaire: