mardi 30 octobre 2018

Desktop is too slow, upgraded

So I bought another 10 year old tower to replace it.  Bought an HP xw4600 workstation, nice hardware for its time.  Q6600 quad core, 4gb ecc ram with 2 free dimm slots, relatively quiet, nvidia quadro 285 with dual monitor support, free drive bays, multi card reader, lots of PCI slots, USB, firewire and ps2 ports, raid sata controller with 2x250gb caviars, DVD burner.
Installed Lubuntu on one of the drives, added urbackup client, then photo apps.  Set up autofs as NFS client. Tested Darktable using NFS and local copies, it looks much faster than the old one.  Exports still taking time over NFS at least.
So I removed the 2tb home drive from kid3 and installed it in the HP. Worked likes treat, but I still need to do some user and group admin.  In the meantime I finished 45 photos in Darktable by working locally and found no performance issues even though YouTube was consuming CPU and ram at the same time.
Memory could be upgraded, need to find some pc6400e dimms as the non-ecc support seems to be limited in this motherboard.
I also need to find a couple sata cables to get the DVD drive working (I stole the DVD cables for the 2tb HDD).
My monitors work fine with the VGA adapter that came with it but I now need a HDMI to dvi-D cable to extend my laptop display.  Think I already have that somewhere.
Next steps are the completion of a first full backup, RAM expansion to at least 8gb and later will be to clean up the laptop home dir and fix the filesystem and dpkg issue, maybe a reinstall is needed.
I'll be left with two functional tower PCs with little or no RAM or disks.  Maybe I'll try to refurbish and donate them.

Aucun commentaire: